Things people say that annoy writers


Not everyone knows how it feels to be a writer or understand the process of writing. So when they know you write, their curiosity gets the better of them and they end up saying things that can be annoying. They don’t necessarily mean to piss you off but you still do end up irritated. Here’s a list I’ve compiled from my own experience and in case you have a friend who writes, please refrain from saying the following:



Where do you get your ideas from?

Santa drops in once in a while with a bundle of ideas. I mean, what answer were you expecting?



Will I get a free copy if you’re published?

Absolutely not. A lot of people do not know that the author gets only a limited number of copies and obviously can’t be given away for free to everyone.  



There’s already a movie on this

Here’s what, you haven’t even finished telling them your story and they are getting on your nerves with this one line. According to them, your story is basically a compilation of movie scenes. These people deserve nothing less than a punch on the nose.



It’s too long!

Good. Don’t read. Fuck off.



Hey, it’s really good!

These guys aren’t really complimenting you. In fact, they haven’t even read your story. You know that because you send them around 20 pages to read and they reply in 10 minutes.



One more Chetan Bhagat, eh?

This has to be the most annoying thing ever. Every time I tell anyone that I write, this is the first thing that comes out of their mouth. He’s not the only writer we have. Also, nobody really likes being compared.



Will anyone read that?

Yes. No. Maybe. But I’m still going to write it. Don’t rub it in my face.



Well, that’s an interesting hobby.

Which loosely translates to “Go get a life”. More often than not, these guys are those toppers you either hate or are jealous of.



Reading is really boring.

They are the most depressing people you’ll ever meet. Stay away from them.



It’s easy. Even I could have written it.

Anyone who says this should be hit in the face with a typewriter.



Can you write about me?

No. Who the hell are you?



When are you going to finish it?

Never. My book. My choice. Period.

P.S: This is only from my experience and if you think there’s anything else that can be added to the list, just say it!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts