A Synopsis of the IIMR Journey

Disclaimer: My story is neither inspiring nor has lessons for people to take away. But for some reason I don’t know, I feel like writing about it. This might be too long although ‘long’ is subjective.

A simple choice:
8 days away from leaving this place, I find myself strangely satisfied with all I’ve done. Possibly because I didn’t come here with any expectations. Two years ago, when I had to choose between joining Maruti and doing an MBA, I chose this just because I didn’t want to work. In fact, I thought I’d be endorsing child labor by doing so. But I didn't know where I was heading to.
                           via GIPHY

Lost:
Everyone who came here had one goal or the other. Landing a dream job, starting their own venture or something like having a holistic view of things and improving their skills (basically things I deem bullshit). I, on the other hand, found myself drowning in a sea of confusion. The dreaded phrase, “Welcome to the real world” was smeared all over the place. I was afraid. Very afraid. I decided to quit the rat race. I’m still not sure if it was a good thing to do but here are the stats.
                           via GIPHY

A Walking Disaster:
20 months later, I’m a four pointer (subject to grade drops), ranking 10th from the bottom. No class participation. Didn’t read a single case properly. The assignments were merely obligations. Didn’t even participate in any management event. Basically, I’m a below average student. But I do have a job. *grins*. Anyway, that’s the academics part, something I’ll never be able to comprehend.
                           via GIPHY

Not so environment-friendly:
Probably, the greatest lesson I’ve learned here is that you have to choose your friends wisely. For the whole of the first year, I was surrounded by people who thought I didn’t amount to much because of well, my academics. People keep liking posts on social media which say “CGPA doesn’t matter” but the same people judge you for your marks. Unfortunately for me, by the end of the first year, I was convinced that I was useless.
                           via GIPHY

Renaissance:
Then came the internship where I was assigned the role of a Community Manager. I still believed I was worthless and so, I was scared. But everyone at work was kind and helped me in whatever I was doing and soon, I found myself taking initiative and doing things. I was alone (not lonely) for most of the time during my internship and it gave me ample time to reflect upon my life. No, I wasn’t worthless. I knew it. But what was it that was pulling me back? I knew the answer. My friends’ circle. The first thing I did post the internship was to change my circle. Eureka! The best decision I’ve taken in my life!
                           via GIPHY

New Friends, New Life:
No, my grades didn’t improve. My attendance is still bad. I’m still in the bottom ten. But I’m happy. Really happy. I’ll even go to the extent of saying that my life is more sorted out than most of the people here. The point I’m trying to make is where you go in life depends on the friends you choose to have because that’s what friends do. They bring out the best in you. And I’m glad that I have quite a few here.
                           via GIPHY

In the right place at the right time:
I’m not pretending to be modest or anything here but I don’t really consider myself to be a singer. I’m an excellent imitator. Yeah, that’s what I am but fortunately for me, nobody cares about the difference which is why I’ve garnered some praise. Hearing my name being cheered was one of the best feelings I’ve had in my life and I’m grateful to my friends here for that. Although I want to be known for other things, I can’t really complain, can I? (BTW, I won the first prize in TEDx’s First Flight Writing Contest. Err…Nevermind.)
                           via GIPHY

Let’s hit the club:
I quit my committee way back and it was a bit tough dealing with it. I was told that I’d be losing a CV point and was missing out on a whole shitload of things but my CV was pretty decent even then. Probably would’ve learned a lot by remaining in the committee but that wasn’t my cup of tea anyway. But being part of the clubs was where all the learning happened. 1. I’d have missed out on meeting some amazing people if it weren’t for the clubs 2. Clubs are fun.
                           via GIPHY

The Acceptance Conundrum:
Well, there are many who think I’m weird/stupid/immature etc. I’ve even seen someone feeling sorry for me because I was mentally challenged(in their eyes). Well, I can’t really blame them. It’s the stuff I do that is responsible for that but neither will I change nor will they. We all are different and different hearts beat for different things.
                           via GIPHY

Climax:
All I want to say is that if a guy like me, who’s one of the worst MBA students in the history of mankind, could come this far, there’s no reason you should be worried about surviving here. There's one thing I’d like to briefly preach:
I’ve seen more worried faces than happy faces here. Please don’t procrastinate working on your happiness. I spent my two years trying to prove this. The best things happen in pursuit of happiness and my story is a testimony to it.
                           via GIPHY

Amazing friends, great memories, my calling, life lessons - My life at IIMR

That’s all I know at the end of my journey.
                           via GIPHY

P.S: I doubt anyone would come this far but if you did, I do have a piece of advice for you. Don’t try this. I just got lucky.

Comments

  1. Take a bow CK!! Wish I had spent more time with you! Have surely lost some moments of happiness in pursuit of other stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome Ck.
    Love the way you present complicated things in the most amazing way. I wish I had clarity like you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much , Asha :D I'm sure you do have more clarity than I do :)

      Delete
  4. Like always, feeling inspired by you my friend!
    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about the inspiration part, but I really want to thank you for reading. It feels nice when someone reads what you've written and you, my friend, have given me all the validation that I needed. Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. I can relate to my engineering days .....

    ReplyDelete
  6. proud of u bro... i am sure u will be chetan bhagat of iim rohtak... ;p

    meher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still wondering if I should be happy about what you said. Haha :P

      Delete
  7. Your story is similar to my engineering story. Nice to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hai Karthik.
    Thanks for using simple words, other wise I wouldn't understand and read all ur story.
    I like ur piece of writing more than ur story. Keep writing... All the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best things happen in pursuit of happiness.
    Try writing songs CK. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved every word you wrote.
    Be an author someday. And give your best in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Soumya. I'm trying to be there someday :)

      Delete
  12. ‘The best things happen in the pursuit of happiness..’ Love it.

    Also, the post script. You always manage to be hilarious :p

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts