If you’re selfish and you know it, clap your hands!


Did anyone ever call you ‘selfish’? Did that hurt you? Did you consciously do things that you wouldn’t do normally, just so that you aren’t labelled ‘selfish’ by someone? I did. It didn’t matter in the end for it hurt me even more. Why did I try shunning it? Because I thought it was a bad thing and you know we all want to be known for the ‘good’ we do. I was no exception to this and I did try my best to not be deemed selfish.

Many a time, I found myself doing things I wasn’t comfortable with, in the first place. I thought the other person acknowledging it would make me feel better. But no, the other person hardly acknowledged. For them, it was just another thing and nothing unusual. Thus, a lack of acknowledgement.

You can call me shameless for this, but there were times when I actually told people that I did something for them despite not liking it and I was rewarded with a unanimous response – “You didn’t do me a favour.” Well, guess what? I actually did you a favour. Because in my quest for becoming ‘the good one’, I put you ahead of me. And this wasn’t with a select few. It was with everyone.

It took me quite a long time to realise that this wasn’t a popularity contest and I, by no means, am obliged to put anyone ahead of my own self. Why should I? When you want me to do something for you and if I’m not doing it, you call me selfish. But what does that speak about the likes of you? Hypocrisy? Double Standards. Meh!

If there is one thing I regret, it’s the fact that I didn’t do enough for myself and did things for someone who didn’t give a damn. I’d had enough. I hit the ceiling. No more favours. Being selfish doesn’t mean I’m doing something wrong. Being selfish means I’m taking good care of myself. It reminds me that it is my life and there’s no you in it anywhere. This might sound like a bad thing but hey, I’m selfish and I know it!



P.S: Tried finding a quote complimenting the blog. Tough luck! Hence the comic ;)

Comments

Popular Posts