I love you...

And then she hugged me.
Disbelief was all I could feel.
As the clouds of agony started clearing,
I realized things were about to change
and they would change forever.
The distance between us
narrowed down to nothing.
The barrier our cold hearts built, crumbled.
Did we beat the devil?
I did feel like it.
But…
But the idea of embracing her back was excruciating.
The words I wanted to say,
remained hidden behind my lips.
A lump formed in my throat,
as I fought back the tears that blurred my vision.
Resisting the cries from within,
I felt my hands tremble.
Am I worthy enough?
Do I even deserve it?
Hesitation. Indecision. Doubt. Guilt.
There was so much going on inside me.
I stood still, wondering if it
were all a cruel joke.
And then I heard her voice.
“I love you, Daddy”, she said.
I looked down into the eyes of my angel.
I was right. She was an angel, indeed.
And in those eyes, I looked at the reflection
of the person I used to be.
This was the world I’d lost.
This was the life I’d lost.
It felt like going back in time,
except, we were a lot older now.
A second chance was what she’d given me
and gratitude took over my incredulity.
I hugged her back.
She looked up and flashed her teeth.
I couldn’t help but smile.
As tears rolled down my cheek,
I looked her in the eye and said what
she’d always wanted to hear.
The same words I was always afraid to utter.
“I love you too. I ain’t going anywhere this time.”
She hugged me again, this time tightly,
almost choking me but I laughed.
I reciprocated.
I wouldn’t leave her.
And this time, I meant it!


Note: Thank you for reading :)

Comments

  1. CK writing about love and that too without any tragedy - things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Trying to get out of my comfort zone *shrugs* :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts