I'll do it tomorrow

“I’ll hit the gym from tomorrow”, “I’m going to change my diet”, “I’m going to finish that project”, “I’m going to study seriously from the next semester” – few of those things I keep telling myself time and again. These are things which require a certain change in my lifestyle and over the years, I’ve been resisting the change.

We all hate speed breakers, don’t we? We know they are there for a good reason and yet, we hate them. We get so used to something for so long that any digression from our routine, irrespective of what it is, makes us uncomfortable. I motivate myself to do something and then I fail to do so. This repeats and after a point of time, I start chuckling at the idea of change.

True, old habits die hard. If I enjoy them, if I’m passionate about them, it’s great. But if the only reason I’m sticking to the same old routine is my laziness, then perhaps, I should start contemplating my life. When I see memes about laziness, which are relatable, I feel ‘Hey, that’s cool’ but it isn’t. I keep using the word ‘mundane’ to describe my life but the truth is, my reluctance to change is the main reason why I’ve become mediocre.

4 months ago, I promised myself that I’d write 2 pages every day and I’m glad that the days I don’t write those two pages are rare. Although I haven’t written amazing articles and I don’t publish often, I could see my writing improve. It was difficult initially, but I’ve managed to make it a habit. I do write 2 pages daily and some days, I write more than 10 pages.

I wouldn’t have been able to do it had I not embraced the change. Sure, change is not easy but it is definitely worth trying. After all, change is the essence of life.


Comments

Popular Posts