Rants are beautiful, aren't they?


For more than I could remember, I’ve been accused of ranting especially when my tone seems voluble. They say “Dude, stop ranting!” which is usually followed by laughter - the ones you usually hear in sitcoms. Forget about the ranting part; even if you make sense, you aren’t taken seriously.

You might have felt an unsettling conviction in the voice of someone who’s ranting and yet you didn’t acknowledge it. That’s because you’ve seen them rant and since ‘ranting’ is bad, you turned a blind eye to the passion with which they’re speaking.

From my own experience, I’ve observed that the word ‘rant’ usually has a negative connotation to it. More often than not, I’ve resisted from saying something just because I didn’t want people calling my discourse a ‘rant’. (Yeah, I’ve been accused of ranting many a time. Classical Conditioning, eh?)

What I hardly acknowledged, was the fact that every time I ranted something, I was at my rawest. The masks, the facades - they were not there anymore. I lay bare some of my deepest thoughts and though they don’t sound anything like a serenade, the fact is they’re pristine. They are emotions that nobody can corrupt even if they tried.

In a world that’s pretty quick at judging and dismissing someone, it takes courage to let it all out. You might feel that the other person is getting on your nerves or digging in your heels but did it ever occur to you that it might be your own fear of absolutes that disquiets you?

Sure, a rant may not be pleasant to listen to but isn’t that the case with the truth as well? I don’t know the way to a man’s or a woman’s heart but the way to a person’s soul is their ranting, provided you’re paying attention instead of dismissing them.

P.S: This may sound weird, but I’m ranting, after all. You better watch out :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts