Top 10 Books I've read in 2016



2016 has been a great year for me, especially regarding books and everything that there is to it. I wanted to read 25 books in 2016 and ended up reading 40 (Personal Achievement Unlocked!). Without much ado, here's a list of the Top 10 books I've read this year (sorry, last year*)

1. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King


This is one of the best books I've read in my life. Part memoir, part Bible for the aspiring writers, it was when I was reading this book that I felt I've found my calling. I would recommend this book for everyone irrespective of their love for writing.

   
2. Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon


If you aren't aware of the genius of Sidney Sheldon, please read this! Basically a family saga full of plot twists and brilliant characters. Once you start reading, putting this book down is a big pain in the arse.


3. Millennium Trilogy by Steig Larsson


I thought of picking up one book from the trilogy and I failed miserably. Each one is amazing and the vivid characters in the stories are what make for a great read. I can go on and on about this but I'll simply end it with "Lisbeth, please marry me!"


  4. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger


Holden Caulfield is probably the most relatable character ever because, he too, thinks you're a phony. But the greatest thing about this book is J.D. Salinger's writing style that is a great mix of wit and sarcasm. There's a reason why this book is a classic and you must read it to know why.


5. Asura by Anand Neelakantan


This book is the story of Ravana and I fell in love with him after reading this. Although fictional, this book throws light on various aspects we've heard of but aren't really sure about. For example, the theory that Sita is Ravana's daughter. Thoroughly engrossing, a writing style that makes it easy for the readers and a brilliant double narrative are the main reasons you should read this one.  

     
6. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins


Perhaps, one of the greatest thrillers in recent times. Weaving a thriller around very few characters is an accomplishment in itself but the greatest strength of this beauty is the triple narrative. You might probably want to start looking at things from different perspectives after reading this.

                                  
7. Relentless by Dean Koontz


I finished this one in a single read. I was on a train while reading this and I had to read most of it in the washroom because it was late in the night and the lights were put out and the washroom was the only place with the lights on. I know I could've slept and read the book the other day but I simply couldn't put it down. Enough said!

                
     8. The Peshwa: The Lion and the Stallion by Ram Sivasankaran


I haven't watched Bajirao Mastani yet but this book is based on the same guy. It has got everything you expect from a Historical Fiction and you won't be disappointed about anything in the story. Not exactly a quick read but an engrossing and a great one to read.

                                  
9. Animal Farm by George Orwell


                      I guess I don't have to say anything about this classic!

                                
10. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn


This book from the writer of Gone Girl, is disturbing to start with and that is why you should read it. Not all books have the ability to move a reader and this book not only moves you but also leaves you visibly shaken. You'll see blades from a totally different perspective after reading this. And yeah, whatever is written on the above pic about the book is true.


Special Mention
Everyone has a Story by Savi Sharma



If you observe, this book has been deemed an inspirational romance but it is neither inspirational nor romantic. No. Please don't read this. Save yourself. It's not just the worst book I've read this year but the worst book I've read in my whole life. There are great books, there are good books and there are the Chetan Bhagats and Ravinder Singhs and Durjoy Duttas. Then there are the really bad books and a pile of wasted paper and then this book. This book deserves a special mention because this one’s a bestseller (Only God knows how and why). If you can, please stay away from this. Don't try this.


Do let me know the best books you've read this year in the comments :)

P.S: I love dark stories
P.P.S: I guess hatred is a stronger emotion than love

Comments

Popular Posts