Good Man Undone




Time and again, 
I've been wronged.
Time and again, 
I've been exploited.
My pain, constantly being the 
object of someone else's pleasure.
Yet, I remained a silent spectator 
while my soul was gradually being 
sucked out of my body.
Time and again.

But I never retaliated 
because I had hope.
The hope that Karma would do 
the job it was entrusted to do.
That hope had kept me alive.
That hope was the reason I was 
still clinging to life even as I 
was drowning in a sea of torment 
that was hell-bent on devouring me.

I waited and waited for ages 
with that hope, until one day, 
the truth decided to show up.
I realized Karma was just another 
mirage that was always in sight 
but was never really there.
I knew it was time to take things
into my own hands and let Karma
watch the proceedings from a 
distance, just like always.

I'd gotten my hands dirty.
I'd had my soul stained.
I'd had the mark of the Devil 
imprinted into my essence.
But I managed to finish the things 
that Karma kept procrastinating. 
When the job was over and I 
looked into the mirror, I saw my 
reflection adorned with something 
I thought I'd never see.

A smile.

A smile that I thought was a 
myth just like the indifferent 
Gods who watched me suffer 
without ever batting an eye.
But I smile that had
graced me for real.
And when it did, I knew that 
I had done a good job.
If I had to do it all over 
again, I'd happily oblige.
Time and again.

© OkayCkay

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts